Sunday, January 13, 2013

Welcome to Cultural Breccia!

What, you may ask, is Cultural Breccia?  In short, it is a term of my making that combines a geological concept with the fleeting and scattered debris of our recent cultural past.  Here is my modified definition derived from "breccia" as found on Wikipedia:

Breccia, Cultural is a blog composed of broken fragments of history or pop culture fused together by a fine-grained matrix that can be either similar to or different from the composition of the fragments.

To an extent, this blog may not look much different from the average content on Tumblr.  While there are substantial blogs on Tumblr, to the untrained eye it appears to be a trove of pretty images, some original and may culled, placed with little context.  I operate a long form blog called  Vintage Technology Obsessions as well as other minor blogs for catch all materials.  Against my better judgement, I am also starting a blog related to my profession for everything that isn't necessarily work related.

But why another blog?  Aren't three or four enough?  In truth, the other blogs really are enough, but really great blog names are hard to come by and the term "Cultural Breccia" is original and of my making.  I mentioned the term on my primary blog and readers thought it was pretty darned awesome!  I wanted to nail down the name before anyone else liberated my idea.

So there it is:  this initial post could simply be a flag staked as a "name squatter" in perpetuity or until Google runs out of money and shuts down the Blogger project.  I would not be the first to create a name squatting blog.  However, I resolve to at least attempt to post the occasional bit of visual dross as I accumulate images in my semi-obsessive search for nerdy and cool things that interest me.

If you happen to have found this blog (and not many people will) welcome and thanks for reading!

To kick things off, I will leave you with a semi-random image that I like.  Oh, and by the way, I am one of those people that claims Copyright on all content in this blog.  It may be used for non-commercial purposes with citation.  It may not be used for any commercial purpose without express, written consent by me.

Spotted earlier this month at one of the great antique warehouse stores in the West Bottoms district of Kansas City.  I still like analog recordings, but this decorative approach may be the best destiny for this lovely colored vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment